Another Day in Paradise

Copyright ©2012~ Cynthia Martz
Copyright ©2012~ Cynthia Martz

What a DAY!

For starters, traffic downtown was near impossible to maneuver. Very large trucks that had no business being down there were blocking the already narrow streets. Thank goodness the AC in the car was working.

I went to pull into the Social Security parking lot. I was stopped by a big burly looking guy and said there is NO parking here allowed. Bewildered, I went on again to find some where to park. I did not want to pay any of the parking spots and so I finally found a place around a block and half away, locked the car. When I went to put money in the meter, the meter was broke.


I started walking, and tripped on the sidewalk where the sidewalk was missing a bit too much of it.My left foot is now sprained again:(

Then,I place my “BOOK” of pain and other needed documents that I have acquired since my last visit~on the thingy that inspects it and shoots it back out attcha. Lo, and behold, I forgot that I had Dad’s little utility knife in my little old purse.
Well, that was no biggie really, they just said we will keep this and you can obtain it back when you leave.
I go into the office. They immediately take me back in a room. I start crying. My foot hurts, I am hot and sweaty from walking. One good thing, someone from SSI is going to call me from Tallahassee at 1:30 on the 7th of February. I told them how much turmoil I endure coming there in person, and now there is not even any convenient parking.
I obtain Dad’s little knife back and start my walk to the car. I kept saying “Please don’t let there
be a ticket on the car.” There was no ticket, but a officer was there getting ready to write one.

She said this is a 30 minute meter. I said well whatever kind of meter it is~ it’s broken and I got into the car and said adios.
On the way home, I decide to stop at the $ store and get some little frames for the pictures I made. I found some real nice ones. Getting back in the car, I realise they are a tad too large for the frame and I don’t have my scissors handy. Then I remember my friend at the mail room, I call him “GUY”. I can take care of the trimming of the pictures there. I can still get them sent out today.
The car will not start.
I get out, lift the hood and look like I have a clue as to why a car that just ran beautifully in all
that horrendous traffic would have a problem.
All, the while calling it every name I can think to call an old car that has let me down once again.
I get back in the car. I have to let the door ajar because the windows don’t go down. A nice lady offers me her cell phone which I had to smile about as I had left mine on top of the fridge at home.
Anyways, Rhea’s line is busy. I decide to sit and wait a bit.
I try to start the car and BOOM there it goes like nothing was wrong to start with. Fooled again…I get out into the mid day traffic on the ONLY feasible road home. If I had taken a right I could have tried on the second feasible road.
As it was it didn’t matter what road. The car died right in the middle of everything.

I managed to get it started enough times to drag myself and the car over to shoulder of the road , out-of-the-way of the onslaught of blaring horns. Now, I am sitting in the car watching all the speeding traffic driving by dangerously close to me. That was close…as the big old Key West tour bus flies on past.
There I sit.  Contemplating my next move.

I decide to try to get the car up just a bit more to Kentucky Fried Chicken.
At least I can get a glass of cool water. It starts, it goes a foot, it stops and starts and stops and starts and finally I am there. I pull in, it stops.

A lady is behind me, blowing her horn like a mad woman. I get out of the car. I realise her car’s ass end is in the traffic…but my car says no I won’t move. I say a few choice words to her and she gives me the bird.
I then put the car in neutral and pushed it to its little spot in the shade. I go in the KFC.
Water, ahhhh as it goes down.

I walk over and ask for the manager. I explain the situation, telling her I have no means to retrieve the car until the first of the week when my mate comes in from fishing. She is so nice and lets me use her cell phone. I call Rhea. She comes very quickly and says cheer up Mom, Gilbert has a whole box of Krispy Kremes just for you.
We pick up Arissa at school and continue to her house to pick up the Kremes.
I think I got home around 2 or so this afternoon.

I remember eating a ham sandwich and then that’s it.
My soaps didn’t record.
I never made it to the mail room to mail the things

I have no wheels to get there.
“That’s the way LIFE is”



Author: cryominute

In my mind are the castles of a realm unseen Come, join me on my flight

2 thoughts on “Another Day in Paradise”

Comments are closed.